Wednesday, September 9, 2020

An introduction: myself and COVID-19

My name is Tori Simpson, and I'm an 18 year old Caucasian female. I'm from a small town right outside of Louisville, Kentucky. I wouldn't say I fit into an exact class system, seeing as my class varies based on which of my guardians you examine. My father is of middle class, and my mother figure (my great-aunt) is of upper class. My father and I have lived with my great-aunt, whom I call "Karo", since I was around 7 years old. We live on a large 'farm' of sorts ( we don't produce any animals or crops), surrounded by my immediate family, and I've always grown up being "of the land" as they call it. I've also attended private school for the entirety of my educational career, which as I'm sure you can guess, created a very diverse personality for me when mixed with my country roots. An important thing to know about me is my passion for healthcare. This passion has been prevalent in my life since I was around 6 years old, when my mother was diagnosed with brain cancer. Needless to say, that's what I'm pursuing in college. Pertaining to COVID-19, it becomes interesting in my family because most people in my household are of high-risk. I wouldn't say this pandemic has been 'worse' for my family in the sense of physical health, but it has definitely been a large burden on our mental health. With my family members being high-risk, we went into quarantine on March 13th and those at home are still in quarantine. Food and groceries are brought to our car from Kroger, we watch movies and play card games daily, and would have any other necessities delivered to our house via Amazon. Our contact with those outside of our farm was extremely limited and I can probably count on one hand the amount of social interactions since March. I've mentioned that my immediate family also lives on the property, I have an aunt who's a nurse, and her husband also works in hospitals. To make matters worse, they have a baby under the age of one. My family and I will help take care of the baby while they're at work and it's a risk we take daily. In this situation though, what has to be done, has to be done. Surprisingly, the closest encounter we've had with COVID isn't from them. It's from a sweet, old priest that has been close friends with my family for decades. He fell ill with COVID a few months ago, and he was one of the few we would maintain interactions with. Luckily, none of my family caught it and Father Ralph has made a recovery. My story with COVID isn't pleasant, but it's significantly better than a vast majority of the global population, and for that reason you will not hear me complain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vaccine Politics: Where benefits out weigh global health

In the world today, the divide between nations and ethnicities has never been more prominent. The natural hate and quick acquisitions made a...